Goodyear Tyres a brief history
I of course have had the pleasure of working for Goodyear tyres. It was they who sparked off my great interest in the tyre industry. Thus, setting out my lifes work and adventure as a tyre business owner and writer about the subject
Goodyear is an American multinational tyre manufacturing company founded in 1898 by Frank Seiberling. The company was named after Charles Goodyear, the inventor of vulcanized rubber, who is credited with revolutionizing the rubber industry in the mid-19th century. Goodyear is known for producing high-quality tyres for a variety of vehicles, including cars, trucks, buses, aircraft, and farm and construction equipment.
The company has a long and storied history, with many notable achievements and milestones. Some highlights include:
- In 1911, Goodyear introduced the first pneumatic tyre for airplanes, which helped to make air travel safer and more efficient.
- During World War II, Goodyear played a vital role in the war effort by producing tyres for military vehicles and aircraft.
- In the 1950s and 1960s, Goodyear was a leader in the development of radial tyres, which offered improved handling and fuel efficiency compared to traditional bias-ply tyres.
- In the 1970s and 1980s, Goodyear expanded its global presence, establishing manufacturing facilities and distribution networks in Europe, Asia, and South America.
- In the 1990s and 2000s, Goodyear continued to innovate, introducing new technologies such as run-flat tyres and tires with self-sealing properties.
Today, Goodyear is one of the largest tyre companies in the world, with a strong reputation for producing high-quality, reliable tyres for a wide range of applications.
So, going back in time, Goodyear was the big inspiration and influence! So, in my lifelong love of the tyre industry. In the beginning, I worked for a Goodyear-owned earthmoving tyre company called “Kurt Neilds” in Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.
Working for this tyre company was a very special time for me and my career in the tyre industry. Definitely one of the best times of my life!
Tyre in your blood
So, Goodyear was also the first to offer help. When I became manager of a Goodyear-owned tyre retailer, Tyreservices, Huddersfield was also in West Yorkshire, UK. This giant company was the first to offer me a credit deal when I started my own tyre business. Importantly, they supported my business with special deals on their full product line! So, many years later, and still today at Pellon Tyres in Halifax, UK,
Up to the present time Goodyear still give support
So, even all these years later, Goodyear is still one of our main stock items. Consequently, they are always coming out with new products. leading up to today’s high standards and eco-friendly tyre products. Goodyear tyres are the product of over 100 years of innovation, including, of course, state-of-the-art technology. producing and test winning summer, winter, and all-season tyres across cars and 4×4/SUVs. offering very high levels of performance and safety.
Rice Husk tests tyres
So, to find more eco-friendly materials, Goodyear tyres are at the forefront of development. Fantastic with rice and husks. So much has been accomplished in the last two or three years. Importantly, and so far, the results have been excellent. The rice husk-derived silica has to have a good impact.
Especially, on the performance of the tyres that have been produced from it. The world produces a staggering 700 million metric tonnes of rice a year. The disposal of the rice husks has been a great challenge in the past. The traditional way of disposing of the waste has been to burn it and send the resulting ash to a landfill site.
- Tyre Puncture Repairs-Are tyres really worth repairing ?
- British Government MOT Mess-BBC airs aftermarket’s fears over gov’s 4-1-1 MOT proposals
- Revamping Your Cars Interior-Comfort, Convenience, and Style
- Pirelli Winter Tyres- Pirelli recommend that UK motorists to fit “WINTER TYRES”
- General Winter tyres-2: Part of the giant Continental tyre group