Car Tyres Repairs from Repair Specialists
Car Tyres Repairs from Repair Specialists
6 best puncture precautions
- Keep your tyres properly inflated: Underinflated tyres are more susceptible to punctures because they have a larger contact patch with the ground, which increases the chance of hitting a sharp object.
- Use tyre liners or puncture-resistant tyres: These are designed to prevent or reduce the chance of getting a puncture.
- Avoid riding on rough roads or through debris: This is especially important when riding through construction zones or areas with a lot of broken glass or other sharp objects on the road.
- Keep your vehicle in good condition: Regularly inspect your tyres and other components for wear or damage that could make your bike more vulnerable to punctures.
- Install a bike computer with a speedometer, as it can help you notice any unusual vibrations in the tyre that could indicate a puncture before it becomes a full-blown flat
- Have a spare tube, pump, and tyre lever with you when you ride, so that you’re prepared if you do get a puncture, which can help you get back on the road quickly and safely.
So, a little bit of history! As a life long tyre guy then specialists tyre repairs have always been around. Of course, I can now go back to the beginning, to the introduction of radial car tyres. Firstly, many of these tyres were fitted with inner tubes. Specifically, Michelin tyres on early French imported cars. including Renault and Citroen. So, car tyres containing inner tubes were very common. also relatively easy to repair. When the tubes were removed, they were either repairable or ripped to pieces! due to them being run on when deflated.
Then came the “tubeless tyres”
Very early in my tyre career, we were introduced to “tubeless tyres.” These are still the norm in today’s tyre market. remembering that my manager at the time said they would “never catch on” !
As a result, we were given some rudimentary instruction on how to repair these tyres when they became punctured. All sorts of new products were introduced and shown to us by different tyre repair salesmen. So, one guy tried to sell us what he said was a ball of string soaked in vulcanised rubber. A piece was cut off the ball and pushed through the hole in the tyres tread ! where the nail had pierced the tyre. This is something I will never forget! Because his demonstration tyre had about 500 of these pieces of string pushed into holes ! while the tyre was still inflated.
So it resembled a large hedgehog ! Very strange! However, this never took off, and a sort of mushroom repair patch became the standard. The repair area was buffed and dirt was removed. A probable cause would be a nail or screw. As a result, the object was removed and the hole was drilled to take one of the mushroom repair patches.
These were to be the answers for years to come. The stem of the mushroom would fill the hole caused by the nail, and the inside had a vulcanised patch covering the damaged area. perfect !
Bigger holes required a different repair method
Moving on a few years, I got a job working for a tyre repair specialist in Leeds. So, the coal and steel industries in the UK were in full swing. Consequently, there was a need to repair the giant tyres that were fitted to the giant earth-moving machines. It was significantly larger than the car tyres I was used to repairing, and it presented a new challenge.
Believe it or not the systems for repairing were much the same except of course the difference in size. In fact you could get inside most of these large tyre to repair them. So, in the next five years I was able to learn a great deal about different tyre repairing methods. Of course this was to help me in the coming years of owning my own tyre business.
So, to bring us up to date we have now installed a “hot vulcanised car tyre repair machine“. Car tyre have become much larger in recent years. Of course mainly due to the advent of the SUV type of vehicles and large motorhomes. Tyre damage to the shoulder area can be repaired by using our specialist equipment. Although good profit for us , then it can also save the customer a small fortune ? naturally by not having to buy a new tyre.
All round tyre service
As a tyre centre owner for over forty years now, it has always been my aim to be an all-round tyre service facility for my customers in the Halifax area. So the addition of such equipment, including an alloy wheel straightening machine, Including a new “four wheel alignment centre” has brought us very close to achieving this goal.
- CHECK YOUR CAR BRAKES REGULARLY- Regularly Checking your Cars Brakes Could Save Your Life ?
- “Revolutionize Your Tyre Shopping Experience with Your Local Tyre Company’s Online Store”
- Four Wheel Alignment Halifax+Three reasons why wheel alignment is in so much demand
- Toyota’s Prius EV-Refresh, hydrogen fuel cell Batteries on tap from 2015 – Newsday
- MOT Test Safer Roads-The annual MOT Test make our roads a safer place to drive on.