Check your Winter Levels and have your wheel alignment checked after winter driving
Check your Winter Levels to shake winter off of your car
Richmond Times Dispatch
Some garages recommend a wheel alignment — which can cost around $80 — or a tyre rotation as part of your spring maintenance.
Wheel alignment and a tyre rotation is good advice ?
This is good advice from the Richmond Times Dispatch article. As winter ends and we are approached by the spring time it is good sound advice to have your steering wheel geometry carried out on your car.
- This is because most car drivers will have driven over a pothole or speed bump that was covered in snow, and would have had the tracking knocked out by the slightest impact . Most cases you would not have known and your tyres will wear away at one edge or the other, causing premature wear and in some cases affecting your cars steering and the position of your steering wheel.
- The cost here in Halifax in West Yorkshire UK is around £29.90 for the average saloon car and tyre rotation will only be at the £20 mark. it is also worth noting that wheel alignment goes under another name here in the UK, it is also known as “tracking”.
- After checking your steering geometry, it is important that you check (or have checked for you) your engine coolant levels.. make sure that you have the correct level of anti-freeze for the upcoming winter weather. It is really important that you check Check your Winter Levels such as the engine coolant level at regular intervals – weekly if possible – it’s an easy job to do. Your levels should not change and if you find that you are having to top the levels up, then it is possible that you may have a leak on the cooling system. The thing is, that you never know when bad weather will affect you and your car, so Check your Winter Levels.
- If you have a leak then it is better that you find out about it at home rather that miles away whilst driving down a motorway. loss of fluid could mean that engine will overheat causing your engine major problems, or at least blowing your cylinder head gasket. if you are not so sure about the amount of antifreeze to put in your cars radiator filler tank, then seek advice from your local garage or Unipart Car Care centre, if you live here in the UK.
- Also make sure that you keep your window washer bottle topped up with de-icer screen wash, there is nothing worse that a frozen windscreen when driving along and your washer bottle and windscreen keeps freezing up, so that you cannot see a thing in front of you. The beginning of the 2014 winter has brought us the usual mixed bag of cold followed by mild air hitting the UK from the Atlantic.
- We have have a mixture of conditions from warm days to freezing cold days with light snow. I am always amazed at the resilience of our drivers, who have once again beaten our expectations, by preparing their cars so Check your Winter Levels for the winter ahead.The drivers using winter tyres has risen year after year and i put this down to “word of mouth”advice from motorists who have experienced the value of this product in snow and ice.
Many thanks Eric Roberts… www.mot-halifax.co.uk
Pellon Tyre and Auto-centre offer car and van servicing and repairs to all makes of vehicles. We are members of Unipart Car Care centres and give a nationwide guarantee for all
our work and parts. We also sell Cheap Avon Tyres online from our website www.pellontyres.co.uk by using the tyre selector and choosing your tyre size. We offer courtesy cars to local motorists who need to go to work and leave their car with us for work doing. We are also an official MOT testing station and are members of Motor-codes, who carry out checks for high standard of equipment and workmanship.
See on www.timesdispatch.com
Post compiled by Eric Roberts a member of Point-S