Overheated Car batteries-Can cause an Explosion also Extreme Heat Can Burn Up Your Car Battery

Overheated Car batteries

Overheated Car batteries

Overheated Car batteries

Of course, the main reason for a battery exploding is over charging? Therefore, it is important to explain some of the reasoning behind simple charging methods.

Some battery chargers. Hence, need to be connected to a main power supply. So, during the charging process. While others are rechargeable and a power supply is not necessary. These portable chargers can be used in charging a car battery anywhere and they are easily transported too.

Here at our garage, Pellon Autocentre, in Halifax, Yorkshire ,UK. We very often have to go out to cars with starting problems. Of course, these problems differ. But the main problem is a flat battery.

For this, we use our portable battery charger. This portable charger uses a 12 volt 22 Ah AGM battery. The type used on mobility scooters and golf trolleys. These are good as long as you do not forget to charge the charger up. Especially after use?

Other types of portable charger are the ones that are simply plugged into the 12-volt outlet socket. Usually the cigarette lighter port. As a result these small chargers are able to charge the battery of the car at a low rate of amps. More modern equipment now include solar chargers. These are reasonably cheap and can be used where there is no mains power supply. Often used by campervan owners to charge up their campervan batteries.

Overheated Car batteries

This is the advice where the possibility of an explosion may occur? Most types of lead acid batteries give off a gas. Especially when they are being charged up. Therefore, you should take into consideration some important safety measurements. Avoid smoking or any other types of naked lights when working on the car battery. Especially, while charging the battery? Because the hydrogen and sulfur dioxide gas from the battery may cause an explosion. Causing an unwanted accident.

This is the reason why batteries should be charged in a well ventilated area. To properly charge a battery. Take note if the fluid level is above the lead plates .This is if the battery is a screw top type? To prevent the battery from overheating, charge it on the lowest charger amps setting. Of course,it will take a longer time to charge the battery. Subsequently, if a faster charge is required, then a higher Amps must be set on the charger.

The big problem occurs when the battery is being overcharged. This is what causes problems in the charging room. Sulphuric acid contains sulphur, and hydrogen sulphide  (H2S) can be a possible by-product of over-charging and battery decomposition. When overcharging then the sulphur smells like rotten eggs. So it is a very bad smell. Just to “add salt into the wound” then Hydrogen is also given off by a battery. Although this is not toxic high concentrations give off a highly explosive gas.

So as you can see the dangers of charging a battery. However, over the number of years that I have worked in the battery trade then only one explosion from an over charged battery has occurred. it is just common sense really.

Eric Roberts